I-Ticket stands for Internet Ticket. It is simply a Railway Ticket for express or mail trains booked online. Though it is booked online, you will receive a ticket at your doorstep, address registered with irctc.co.in.
An I-Ticket can in Wait List, RAC or Confirmed. The booking procedure is quite simple and straight forward. Anyone with the basic knowledge of Internet Surfing can book an I-Ticket.
A person looking to book an I-Ticket first needs to be registered with IRCTC. He/she can do so by logging on to irctc.co.in.
Booking an I-Ticket
- Sign in with your Username and password.
- Click on 'Plan My Travel'
- Enter Source station in 'From' field
- Enter Destination station in 'To' field
- Select "I-Ticket" from the Ticket Type drop down
- Select appropriate quote. (Select Tatkal for booking an urgent ticket which can be booked within 3 days of the journey)
- Select a train from the list of available trains for the selected route to find the availability of seat. and train details.
- Select the train your choice after verifying the train route, availability and fare.
- Enter name of passengers. Enter age and gender. You can also select preferred birth. However, note that it won't guarantee you the selected birth as depends on the availability.
- Once you fill the required details and proceed to booking the ticket, you will be taken to the page with all details you entered for passengers along with details of Train and it's fare. Verify it thoroughly before proceeding to payment.
- Click on 'Make Payment' option to proceed to payment. After clicking, you will get a popup for selected a payment option.
What if the payment is done but the I-Ticket is not booked?
- Once the payment is done, you will receive the confirmation.
If the payment is done but you don't receive the confirmation of the same, go to 'Booking History' option menu and check if the ticket it booked or not. If the ticket is not booked, you don't need to worry about the payment done as the entire amount would be refunded to the account deducted from.
Cancellation of I-Ticket
NOTE: Please verify/check the cancellation charges on irctc website as it's subject to change which might not reflect on this page.
- Cancellation of tickets before departure of trains:
of I-Tickets can be done at any computerized reservation counter across
the country and a cancellation ticket obtained. NO CASH REFUND will be
given. Service Charge is also not refundable. The refund amount will be
credited to the respective credit card account electronically,the
following day of cancellation. Refund of fare shall be made after
deduction of cancellation charge of the fare as follows:
RAC/waitlisted is cancelled then Rs. 20/- (Per Passenger) shall be
deducted If a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 24 hrs before the
departure of the train, flat cancellation charges shall be deducted @
Rs.70/- for AC First Class/Executive Class, Rs.60/- for AC 2 Tier/AC 3
Tier/First Class/AC Chair car, Rs.40/- for Sleeper Class and Rs.20/- for
Second Class. Cancellation charges are per passenger.
If a confirmed
ticket is cancelled within 24 hrs and upto 4 hours before the scheduled
departure of the train, cancellation charges shall be 25% of
the fare subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned in the above clause.
- Cancellation of tickets after departure of trains
I-Tickets can also be cancelled in the above manner,at the boarding
station, within 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train and
Upto 3 hrs after actual departure of train for tickets upto a distance of 200kms
Upto 6 hrs after actual departure of train for tickets upto a distance of 201-500kms.
Upto 12 hrs after actual departure of train for tickets over a distance of 500kms.
all the above cases, cancellation charges will be 50% of the fare
subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned in the above clause.
- To cancel tickets after the above period
Surrender the I-Ticket with the Station Master and obtain a Ticket Deposit Receipt.
Prefer your claim for refund to the following address attaching the original-copy of the Ticket Deposit Receipt:
General Manager (Operations),
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd.
1stFloor, Internet Ticketing Centre
IRCA Building, State Entry Road,
New Delhi - 110055
IRCTC will process the refund claim with the Railway
Administration and refund granted by the Railway shall be credited to
your credit card account.
Refund claims under above clause may require at least 60days or more for processing.
- Cancellation of I-tickets in case of trains cancelled
I-Ticket can be cancelled upto 72 hrs after the scheduled departure of train at any computerized reservation counter.
The above rules of Indian Railways are subject to change without prior notice
- Cancellation of Tatkal Tickets
A flat refund of 25% of
total fare charged on ticket,excluding Tatkal Charges is granted on
cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets, which are cancelled up to 24
hrs. before the schedule departure of train. No refund on confirmed
Tatkal tickets when cancelled within 24 hrs.of the schedule departure of
train. For contingent cancellation wait-listed Tatkal ticket
cancellations,charges will be deducted as per existing Railway rules.